Thursday, September 17, 2015

How do you homeschool and keep up with everything else?

I have one, possibly two special needs children and a toddler who all need a homemade diet free of gluten, dairy, corn, food dye and sugar.  I deal with health problems including fibromyalgia and our family is constantly having surgeries, MRIs, CT scans, etc. So, how do I do it all without loosing my mind while giving my kids a high quality education?

It all begins with Accountable Kids.  It's available online and in some book stores.  Read the quick book.  It's really worth your time.  Kids learn to manage themselves by moving task cards that hang on a little board from one peg to the next.  They earn tickets to pay for privileges like TV time.  There are three sections of the day.  If they earn all three tickets in a day, they get a star.  Ten stars  earns date with mom or dad.   T hey even have cards for all the homeschool subjects! I don't nag my kids anymore; they just take care of themselves. There's more to it, but that's the basic idea. 

I have built into our day two quick clean ups. We all clean the kitchen and living room before we start school and before play time when they get to use their tickets after school. Their morning tasks include: clean room (it's done every day, so it takes about one minute), make bed, bath, get dressed, clean up the bathroom and take their dirty laundry to the laundry room and sort it into the proper bin. These must be completed on time and before they are allowed to eat breakfast. After breakfast, we clean up together. I do dishes, laundry and sweep the floor while they clean up the kitchen and living room, brush and floss, and do hair which must be completed before school. If its all done on time, they earn a ticket.

 Another ticket is earned for completing school with a good attitude and cleaning up the kitchen and living room again.  I set a 15 minute timer to keep things on track during clean up time.  Next, they have time to use their tickets to play with friends, video games, TV, etc. T he evening ticket is earned for completing prayers, scriptures, pajamas, teeth, and staying in bed after bed time.  They can read all they want, but if we hear or see them, they don't earn the ticket. 

My ten year old is autistic.  Routines are essential or the whole day is a melt down.  He and my 7 year old both love to be independent.  Younger kids can do this, too!  Just help them until they can do it on their own.  We do school 4 days a week.  The fifth day (not a set day, but just that day of the week that I start to feel overwhelmed or have appointments) is set aside for running errands, going to the library, field trips, and catching up on any house work that needs to be done like cleaning bathrooms, mopping, vacuuming, catching up on laundry, and that pile on my kitchen counter. Anyone who has a large house knows how much time and energy it takes to keep clean. Homeschool has used up my maid budget. My house is not perfect, but this is how we make it work with no maid while homeschooling! 


The most important piece of the puzzle, though, is Jenna time.  I have found it essential that I take at least a couple hours for my self every week to have a break from it all.  I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  My goal is to attend the temple by myself or with my husband once a week. How can I possibly fit that in?  Well, I really don't have a choice.  I quickly burn out without that spiritual, emotional, mental and physical renewal.  I get a fresh start, and top off my patience, endurance, and positive attitude reserves.  What do you do to keep your sanity?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jenna! I've read all of your posts. You are seriously Super-Mom! What a blessing you are to your family!😊 Thank you for sharing your journey through this blog. Just the motivation I needed today to work hard and enjoy my family! I'm off to prep some General Conference activities.😄
    -Amber G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amber! I look at you and other moms and think the exact same thing. I definitely don't feel deserving of your complement. I think that each mother is Super-Mom in her own way. I do what comes naturally to me and you do what comes naturally to you. I have often seen incredible crafts, projects, outings and gatherings that other moms do with their kids and felt that I could never be that great of a mom. The fact is, each child is sent to their mother for a purpose. For good or ill, that child learns, grows and gains experience. I think we should all be a little easier on ourselves. I hope we can celebrate the little moments that build character, create memories and strengthen family bonds. Your children need you and me just as we are - faults and all.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! If you know me, please keep our location and personal information confidential. Have a great day!