Friday, October 2, 2015

Spelling

Carter's autistic mind works in very specific pathways. Finding a way for him to practice spelling words that he will accept was no small feat. He loves this system! So long, meltdowns!

Here's what I do: 

Each day, we write down any words we come across that the kids don't know how to spell.  We write them on a chalkboard.  Each week, I choose 10-15 words from the chalkboard and create a spelling list.  With each word, the boys work through five steps:

1. Say it and spell it 
2. Write it 
3. Spell it three times.
4. Write it again 
5. Close eyes and spell it

I'm sure we will use other

methods for studying spelling, and I have several in mind, but this is working right now.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! If you know me, please keep our location and personal information confidential. Have a great day!