I will probably add to this post often.
"C" has attended public school since his third birthday. There he has received invaluable services and support for his autism (now diagnosed as PDD) for which we are very grateful. It has been the right thing for him up until this year. Near the end of his second grade year, Carter began to stand out from his peers - or at least they took notice. He has been bullied, left out, and has become a shell of who I know he is. I saw him breaking inside and knew that I needed to research and explore our options. I was unable to act on my ambitions because I had baby "A" in my arms and knew that I could not provide the environment or education that Carter needed while battling my health conditions. I sent him to school for another difficult year.
I have been Carter's advocate since he was diagnosed with autism at age two. I have sacrificed immeasurably to provide him with every opportunity for growth and progress. Our goal has always been to beat autism. I believe we are succeeding. Carter's autism is rarely recognizable to the casual observer. About six weeks before the end of last school year, Carter wrote me the following email from school:
Hey Mom,Get me out! I hate this school. Too much bulling, mean teachers, No one sat with me at lunch. There is no friendship. There is NO fun. GET ME OUT!-Carter
I never sent Carter back to school after that day. The next step in my advocacy was to bring him home to a safe, loving, kind, accepting, calm environment where Carter could thrive and focus on his education. I expected it to be hard and stressful, but I was wrong. Homeschooling has proven to be a precious and rewarding experience. We have bonded like never before. I felt unqualified to teach, but my fears were unfounded. Because I know and love my children, I can teach them in exactly the ways that they learn best. "C" is a kinesthetic/tactile (hands on) learner. "B" is an autitory learner. Their education will be rich and varied, structured and creative - and I will be their teacher. I have had the opportunity of watching my children light up as I teach them a concept. My best qualities come out as I creatively guide them to mastering each concept. This is the joy I was missing from my motherhood.
I have chosen motherhood as my career. David O. McKay said, "No other success can compensate for failure in the home." If I am to experience success, I want it to be in our family. My children will be my great work and I pray that I will be successful. I must admit, however, that it's hard to put aside my ambitions for a life of diapers, dishes, laundry and slime on my shirt. Since my boys have been in school, I have only gleaned the rewards of motherhood, success and recognition. I could choose to pursue my own career, which I did at one time, in order to attain that fulfillment, but each day my children grow older. I have them for such a short time and every moment is precious. At this time, I choose to put my career on hold and gain fulfillment I teaching my children as only I can. I am in no way judging working moms. This is my choice for my family.
Since embarking on our homeschool journey, my joy and fulfillment has resurfaced vibrantly. I feel like experiencing with children the acquisition of knowledge, making learning fun, and witnessing the precious moments when their face lights up with confidence as they master a concept is what has illuminated the lives of mothers throughout time. Rather than relinquishing my joy and fulfillment to a stranger, I choose to accept the challenge of educating my children.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for commenting! If you know me, please keep our location and personal information confidential. Have a great day!